Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wailing Caverns First Go

Ok, as previously stated RFC got me to 18 before I decided the 'grins' were strong enough to try their hands at Wailing Caverns.
I had already during my pre-RFC leveling made sure I got the quests from Thunder Bluff, including the Leaders of the Fang one - So it was just a matter of flying to Ratchet and then running to the instance, picking up the last quests on the way.
Now, a few of the quests are collection quests, but I still picked them up as I expect to spend a bit of time here in WC (plenty of nice loot to be gotten).
Outside the instance I notice a couple of things:
  • I had forgotten the mobs are now non elite, so zero risk here.
  • Deviate Hides dropped quite frequently.
  • The drop rate of Perfect Deviate Scales seems quite increased.
So, I run about a bit and finish the Trouble at the Docks quest, zone in and get the druid buff.

The elites are around level 18, and are easy enough to clear - I just have to pay a bit more attention than I'm used to from finishing up RFC - Also, be very careful about the raptors that call for help - That can create some very big fights.
I have a few deaths due to this, but no wipes as I clear my way around to the first named: Lady Anacondra.
Thanks to some sloppy pulling, I end up getting her as an add to a cry for help, and having quite a messy fight which ends with 1 of the 'grins' left standing and the mobs dead - I resurrect and loot Serpent's Shoulders.

So far, it's quite challenging and quite slow clearing - I could probably have pulled this off at level 17, but experience is quite a bit better in RFC at that level (actually, at 18, if experience over time is the goal, RFC might still be a better choice - But the loot tables of WC are calling).

I drop down and kill Kresh, who now no longer just drops a white shield - But rather Worn Turtle Shell Shield. At 18, he is a very easy kill for the 'grins'.

I start clearing towards the next Fanglord, and as mentioned above it is quite challenging and I do manage to get a complete wipe due to some over pulling. I do also get lucky with a random blue drop - Gloves of the Fang.

Finally I'm standing before Lord Cobrahn. Remembering the mess I had with the first Fanglord, I'm quite cautious as I rush in and attach, dropping 5 nova totems to get rid of the snake adds - But he is a complete push-over - Dying real easy and giving up Leggings of the Fang.

Running back and clearing the other direction, I again get a bit sloppy and get a wipe - And clearing as slowly as the 'grins' are, I'm getting worried about respawns.

Finally I charge Lord Pythas, who proves a bit more challenging due to the number of adds in the area - But 2 'grins' left standing kill him and he drops Armor of the Fang.

I then clear to Skum, who turns out to be a decently easy fight - But he surprises me with running at low hit points and cause a bit of a mess. He drops his Tail Spike, which suits the 'grins' perfectly as they are missing a 1h weapon from the RFC farming.
However the running away somehow led to there now being a Druid of the Fang somewhere under the world, nuking my team down 1 by 1.
It's a wipe - And given how late it is, I decide to call it off.

So in summary, a ok decked level 18 shaman team can pull of doing WC - But if experience over time is the goal, RFC is probably worth staying at for a level or 2. I'll keep chasing the blues in WC though, nice with so much loot per run.

This post turned out a bit longer than expected, and I'm sure my level of ambition will go down as I progress ;)

No comments: